Keep3r Profitability - Keep3rV1Helper Updated

Hey @andre.cronje thanks for updating the Helper to produce more favorable rewards for bonded keepers.

Rewards are currently much better, but still not profitable per job at current prices. Are you planning to deploy the updated Helper at some point?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Second.

<Just some characters to reach the 20char minimum>

Released a new candidate

Instead of a multiplier on gas, added a base fixed cost that increases with bond (up to the 200 cap for now), the multiplier became overly profitable on high gas jobs.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Andre! :slight_smile:

Hey @andre.cronje, first of all thanks for all your efforts and I am learning a lot from you. I’ve a question.
I don’t know if it needs its own topic or not, but is it possible to call the bond method again once a keep3r is activated with 0 kp3r? Meaning I want to bond already activated keep3r with some kp3r?

it does seem this needs to be optimized as right now on my first successful job, 61$ were spent and got rewarded 27 :joy: :sweat_smile: :joy: not ideal

Yes, you can keep increasing your bond by calling bond again

2 Likes

Appreciate @andre.cronje

Hello,
I have a question regarding the gas fee and reward.
Transaction fails but still transaction fee is already taken, why and how?
Should not the contract check if I have enough amount to pay before paying the tnx fee?

And why is the transaction fee more than earned reward?
Thanks.

Every failed transaction on the Ethereum chain costs tx fee, however, you should be able to notice that a failed tx is cut off early in the progress, consuming less gas (and thus costing less fee) than a successful transaction.

1 Like

Yeah, I know a transaction costs, but my question is that why I paid for a failed transaction like about 0.5 eth, as it is possible to return early if no enough amount to pay gas fee?
Thanks

Haven’t experienced that/seen it happening yet, so without an example tx that’s a bit hard to tell. Do you mind sharing the tx or a another tx from someone else where you see that happening?

As an example you can see this:

My expectation is to get reverted if failed without transaction, and that’s why net earning is a way less than reward.
thanks

That is an out of gas error, so you used 1,211,083 gas at a price of 241 gwei. The ETH VM has no choice but to use that much gas until it runs out.

How are you estimating gas usage? I have noticed that the libraries to estimate gas limit are always off, so I tend to multiple by 1.5x to 2.0x to be safe. This won’t increase your tx cost in the end, but you reserve more eth just incase the gas used ends up being higher than the estimated limit. This let’s you avoid these huge fees

@kx9x thanks as usual. Yes, i multiplied by 2. But i understand now that ethereum has no option to revert the gas fee if its not successful.
One more question. Could you please also give me a clue on how to unbond via the script or even add bond in the defender? Coz this are one time call, right?
Thanks

That looks like you multiplied the gas price by 2, not the gas limit. Can you verify that the gas limit was multiplied by 2? They are different things that get mixed up often

1 Like

Checked, I multiplied gas limit by 2.

Dang, that is pretty crazy that the gas limit was still higher than 2 times the limit… I don’t really know how that can happen.

My guess is that when the gas limit was estimated, the oracle had 1 pair to update, but then when your tx came in, more than 1 pair needed to update.

So the gas limit was calculated as if only one data point needed refreshed, but when your tx came through, multiple pairs had to be updated and more gas was needed.

1 Like

I spend about $568 gas fee and award is $235 in kp3r, why is expenses more than reward thanks.

Are you using super high gas prices? For example, 231 gwei in your out-of-gas tx is super high. The KP3R contract will only reward you up to whatever fast gas cost is at the time

1 Like