Keeping Yearn Great - Funds, Incentives & Rewards

The amount said about this topic has exploded in the last couple of days. This is great, but I feel there are still some core contradictions and inconsistencies (below) that are unaddressed.

As someone with limited bandwidth, it’s difficult to follow every single discussion about these matters. It’s possible these are already addressed somewhere, but I imagine there are quite a few community members who love yearn but have limited understanding due to time constraints and would like the answers to these questions as well. Any strong relationship is built on good communication, typically over-communication. The relationship between the team and community would be even stronger if these contradictions are addressed in a more deliberate way, perhaps in a consolidated proposal the team comes up with.

FWIW even if these questions aren’t answered, I’ll still be voting in favor of any proposal the team unanimously supports.

1. @tracheopteryx’s clarification that there was never a binding vote to burn the YFI minting keys is very helpful. However, the spirit of the contention about the 30k cap is that it was something that Andre himself pushed quite strongly. It looks like Andre had a change of heart about burning the minting keys, and it would help to set the record straight if he makes a statement about this himself rather than communicate via @banteg.

2. The devs have indicated that they don’t feel like they are being compensated enough. This is a topic the community cares deeply about and wants to solve. The last time the community responded in a concerted way to address similar developer unhappiness was via gitcoin funding, but then the money was given back which is a bit of a mixed message. Was that because the amount was too small? Do the devs have some amount in mind?

3. It feels like many of the issues brought up in YIP-56: Buyback and Build were supposed to be addressed by YIP-54: Formalize Operations Funding, after the v2 fees kick in. Is there some reason we didn’t wait for v2 to be launched before introducing YIP-56? Is there some underlying issue that was unaddressed by YIP-54 that will show up again even after YIP-56?

5 Likes