YIP-57: Funding Yearn's Future

As someone who’s curiosity to discover this community was sparked by this debate, I strongly support creating more YFI in order to give the development team more skin the game (I must say I’m very impressed by the quality of the discussion so far!). I’m also of the opinion that developers should have as much power over governance as possible, especially in the early days. In short, I don’t really have a problem with the proposal as is.

Given this bias, I want to play devil’s advocate a little.

I must admit that it’s not entirely clear to me why 6,666 is enough of a war chest, but 3,333 isn’t (given the assumptions you’ve laid out).

To take your sensitivity analysis, for example, it looks like it considers 100,000 - 200,000 dollars YFI to be a realistic 2021 target (which i agree is a perfectly reasonable assumption). Within this window however, we see that

6,666 YFI minted (18% of total supply) at

$100,000 per YFI ==> $666 Million in dev funds
$200,000 per YFI ==> $1.3 Billion in dev funds

3,333 YFI minted (10% of total supply) at

$100,000 per YFI ==> $333 Million in dev funds
$200,000 per YFI ==> $666 Million in dev funds

And this is just by end of 2021.

So my question is the following: given that 3,333 YFI has may well be enough to bring dev funds to $500 million by end of year, could you elaborate a little on why 6,666 was chosen over 3,333?

P.S
A relevant quote from your second reference:

a mint of somewhere between 5-15% of total supply is reasonable and puts YFI in an incentive-aligned and competitive position when viewed in the context of the talent market… If we don’t burn the minting key, this can be on the smaller end since there will be corrective power down the line.

11 Likes