Thought Contributor Rewards Pool

So I think in theory, this is a great idea, and I’m not saying that it won’t be great in practice either– I do like it. To be up front, I think I am also exactly the type of person who would benefit from this (I have the 6th-most likes received both in the past week and in the past month), so for what it’s worth there’s my conflict of interest.

Thoughts to try to prevent abuse:

1. Only count votes/posts from accounts who have been around for x days, commented/posted x times, etc. This way someone couldn’t create a bot army to upvote all of their posts– if all of these bots were also required to make posts and comments for their “likes” to be valid.
  2. Perhaps the community mods could also just manually comb through those at the top– users supported by bots would probably be pretty easy to spot, since there really are a few faces who comment/post a good bit around here and engage the most– and as someone began to submit more meaningful content, they would come on the mods’ radar.

However, while I would love a little bit of extra yUSD since I am not a YFI whale, I certainly don’t contribute here for the $$– I do it because I believe in Yearn, because I think I have meaningful contributions that I can make, and because I want it for Yearn to be as good as it can be– and that only happens if we’re engaged. I think there’s a chance this could just lead to the whole space being cluttered with random posts and comments, which I don’t like the idea of– but as a counterpoint, we have not seen a massive influx of shitty strategy proposals after YIP 45 passed, so maybe those concerns are unfounded.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that a good amount of activity also happens on Discord, and I wouldn’t want to ignore those people there. I prefer using this forum because it’s more organized and easier for me to follow, so maybe if this helped bring some of the other governance folks back here, that wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

7 Likes