YIP-55: Formalize the YIP Process

Like @Franklin said, we didn’t write this to try and slow down governance or make it into a bureaucratic nightmare. We just want a more well-defined outline of what we think governance should look like for YIPs.

Realistically, the reason we wanted to bring back the idea of quorum is to make sure that proposals/votes don’t sneak by. While this obviously is not the case currently, and theoretically we have a multisig (and admins, among others) to protect us from any nefarious proposals/votes, building in redundancy here I think is still advantageous.

Perhaps there could be a sort of compromise based on feedback from @banteg and @WrongNebula.

The reason behind implementing quorum is to ensure that enough governors are participating, and so that bad votes can’t be quickly pushed through. Perhaps instead of requiring a quorum, we could implement a mandatory time from proposal -> vote of 5-7 days (pick one) and then extend the mandatory vote window to 5-7 days. As a side note, with a proposal like @banteg’s that was split into separate parts, this clock would start from the time of the original proposal, which I think is more than fair and wouldn’t unnecessarily slow it down.

To address @banteg’s other concerns, this wouldn’t cause good proposals to fail due to quorum, and there would be plenty of time to discuss things like @WrongNebula and @Ceazor mentioned. If a vote is being discussed for a week and then voted for a week (or 5 days and 5 days), and someone still doesn’t care enough to engage or vote, then I don’t think a quorum requirement is going to change their mind.

This YIP also isn’t saying that every time we change a single thing about Yearn we have to wait two weeks to do so and vote on it—it’s just saying that if you want for something to be a binding YIP that is approved by the community, we should give the community enough time to weigh in and approve that vote.

3 Likes